. Casa Charl Call us - +27832309400 Contact Casa Charl E-mail this page link Go to mobile website
. Travel Info
. Fishing
. The House
. The Beach
. Local Amenities
. Diving & Snorkelling
. Rates
. Contact Us
. Reservations
. Currency Converter
. Reservations Calendar
. Travel info



Speed Limit


In case of accident


Driving regulations






S A Immigration law


Border requirements

. Local Weather
. Maps & Directions
. Facebook
. References
. E-mail Friend
. Site Map
. Useful Links
  Border Info:-  
  Lebombo Border:- (+27 13 793 7311):-  
  The border is open daily from 6am till 10pm. They often keep the border open for 24 hours during holidays. Phone the  to confirm.  
  Pafuri  border:-  
  The border is open at Pafuri, but only accessible to 4x4 vehicles (preferably groups).
Drive through the Limpopo River – no bridge – Not recommended during rain fall season. Can’t tow a boat – need to be at least 2 vehicles. The road links to Vilanculos.
  Giriyondo border, Letaba:-  
  The border is open at  from 8H00 until 15H00 daily. The first 70km after border is not for towing. Link to Chibutu, Xai-Xai.  
  What you need at the border:-  
  • Valid Passport
  • Vehicle & Trailer Registration papers
  • Accommodation reservation form with passport names, numbers & expiry dates
  • Letter from your bank for your vehicle to leave the country
  • Children travelling with need the new unabridged birth certificate (see the new law)
  • Passport entrance fee for vehicle documents
  • Third party insurance per vehicle & per boat or trailer (available on border)
  • Money can be exchanged at border, FX Bureau de Exchange at Crossings Shopping Center Nelspruit or BP Garage Komatipoort
  • Don’t exchange money with locals in Mozambique
  • Pay for petrol and at shops in Meticas, although Rands and Dollars are also accepted. Credit cards can’t be used
  • You can draw money with your Visa Card/Master card at the local banks.
  Duty free allowances:-  
  Every visitor is entitled to import the following duty-free:-  
  • Goods to the value of $US 200 (inclusive of grocery consumables)
  • One litre of spirits
  • 2,5 liters (3 bottles) of wine
  • 2 cartons (or 400) cigarettes
  • Children under the age of 18 do not qualify for liquor allowances
  • Only a limited quantity of raw fish products (i.e. prawns, fish, calamari, crayfish, etc) can be exported. Transport permit at reception from local resorts
  Driving recommendations in Mozambique  
  Traffic in Mozambique is regulated by the Road Decree (Law 1/2011).  Below is a summary:-  
  • All visitors using a vehicle in Mozambique should adopt a rather passive driving style to prevent any involvement in accidents.
  • Always carry your car documents
  • Always carry a copy of your ID (including Visa)
  • Always stop. According to the law, police has the authority to stop a car
  • Traffic police officers always wear white shirts. They also have to carry a badge with their name
  • If you commit traffic violation accepts the fine but never pay it on the spot. According to the law, you have 7 days to pay in the Comando Geral da Policia or any Provincial Police Station
  • Policemen are not supposed to keep your documents or the documents of the vehicle. That is against the law
  • Never photograph a policeman. That is illegal
  • Driving on the beach is not allowed. Some beaches have designated driving areas. You may only drive on the beach when launching a boat
  • Never give a ride to a public order policeman (armed and with a gray uniform) if they ask to take you to a traffic police station. They can however call the traffic police patrol to the spot
  • Policemen are not supposed to take you to a Police Station in any circumstances (except in case of an accident)
  • Never enter into discussions with the police. Be always kind and polite with Mozambican authorities
  Specific driving regulations according to the Mozambican traffic code:-  
  • It is prohibited to take alcoholic beverages or drugs in the area of the car reserved for passengers. It is forbidden to drive under the influence of alcohol or psychotropic substances (art 81)
  • Drivers shall not drive around with part of their body outside of the vehicle (art 16). So, avoid leaning your elbow outside of the window
  • Vehicles shall be driven on the left of carriageways, and as close as possible to shoulders or sidewalks but at the distance from these required to avoid any accident (art 17)
  • Drivers should not use any type of audio headphone or television device while the vehicle is in motion, except for the use of devices equipped with headsets or microphones whose use does not require continue handling (art 89)
  • The driver of, and passengers transported in, automobiles, shall be obliged to use seatbelts and other safety accessories, on the terms set out in regulations. (art 87)
  • (Art 87) Children under the age of 12 who are transported in automobiles fitted with safety belts shall be secured by using a retention system designed for and adapted to their measurements and weight. Children transported in terms of the previous number shall be so transported on the back seat, except in the following situations:-
    A) If the child is under 3 years of age, and is transported using a back facing retention system, in which case the air cushion in front of the passenger may not be activated,
    B) If the child is older than 3 years of age, and the vehicle does not have back seat safety belts, or does not have a back seat
  • The transport of children under 3 years of age is prohibited in automobiles which do not have safety belts
  • Sound signals shall be brief, used moderately, and shall in no case be used to protest against traffic interruptions, or as ways of calling others (art 24)
  In case of an accident, (ART 92):-  
  • A driver involved in an accident shall provide, to all other parties involved, his identification, as well as that of the owner of the vehicle and of its insurer, as well as the number of the insurance policy, and shall, whenever requested, produce documentation in proof thereof
  • If the accident results in deaths, or injuries, the driver shall await the arrival of a traffic officer at the place of the accident.
  The fine and costs shall be paid within a period of 15 working days, counting from the date on which the decision became definitive, and payment shall be made in the manners prescribed in regulations (art 172 and 181). If you decide to pay the fine on the road, ask for a receipt.  
  ANEX of Road Decree in Portuguese

If you are not able to understand each other with the policeman, you can show him/her the following extract of the Road Decree in Portuguese.

About Fine Payments

Art. 172: Cumprimento voluntário (multas):
1.É admitido o pagamento voluntário da multa, ou reclamação, nos termos e com os efeitos estabelecidos nos números seguintes.
2.A opção de pagamento voluntário e sem acréscimo de custas deve verificar-se no prazo de 15 dias utéis a contar da notificação para o efeito, podendo, o infractor pagar a multa em qualquer Departamento Provincial de Trânsito da Policia da República de Moçambique ou Delegação Provincial de Viação.
  Speed limit  
  Maximum speed in Mozambique is 120 km/h. Before entering a town or village you will see signs of 80 and 60 km/h signs. Do respect them. There will probably be a police vehicle with radar speed control at the end of the speed limit area. Sometimes there is no sign indicating you can start to drive faster (people from villages sometimes steal these signs), so keep the 60km/hour until the end of the inhabited area. Do also reduce the speed when you see a school sign.  
  • (art 30) Speed shall be considered to be excessive whenever a driver is not able to stop his vehicle in the free space which is visible in front of him, or exceeds the speed limits set down by law. A contravention of the provisions of this Article is punishable by a fine
  • (Art 32) Speed shall in particular be adjusted in the following cases:
    A) On steep descents;
    B) At bends, at intersections, junctions, traffic circles, slopes in the road, bridges, tunnels and level crossings, and in other areas in which visibility is reduced;
    C) Next to schools, hospitals, and similar establishments, when duly signposted;
    D) In towns, or on roads lined with buildings;
    E) When approaching groups of people or animals;
    F) At intersections with other vehicles;
    G) In all places in which there is reduced visibility;
    H) On sections of roads which are in a bad state, wet or muddy, or which are slippery;
    I) On crossings on carriageways, indicated as pedestrian crossings;
    J) At places signposted with danger signs;
  Mozambican traffic law establishes following speed limits (ART 33):-  
  Car with a trailer -  within towns = 60 k/h /  outside of towns = 100 k/h  
  Car without a trailer -  within towns = 60 k/h /  outside of towns = 120 k/h  
  New S A immigration law  
  Cape Town - South Africa's immigration laws have recently undergone an intense revision with newly appointed Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba saying the amendments are "in the best interest of South Africa's security and allows for efficient management of migration".

The department also expressed concern about the growing issue of child trafficking and has announced new requirements for adults travelling with children.


Parents travelling internationally with children would now be requested to provide an unabridged birth certificate (including the details of the child's father as well as the mother) of all travelling children. This applies even when both parents are travelling with their children and it also applies to foreigners and South Africans alike.

When children are travelling with guardians, these adults are required to produce affidavits from parents proving permission for the children to travel.

It is important for parents to note that unabridged birth certificate applications can take anything from six to eight weeks to complete. The new requirement comes into effect from 1 July 2014 for all travel to and from South Africa.

Following are the new South African immigration regulations concerning travelling with children:

a.Where parents are travelling with a child, such parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate of the child reflecting the particulars of the parents of the child.
b.In the case of one parent travelling with a child, he or she must produce an unabridged birth certificate and-i.consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent registered as a parent on the birth certificate of the child authorising him or her to enter into or depart from the Republic with the child he or she is travelling with;
ii.a court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child; or
iii.where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate;

c.Provided that the Director-General may, where the parents of the child are both deceased and the child is travelling with a relative or another person related to him or her or his or her parents, approve such a person to enter into or depart from the Republic with such a child.
d.Where a person is travelling with a child who is not his or her biological child, he or she must produce-i.a copy of the unabridged birth certificate of the child;
ii.an affidavit from the parents or legal guardian of the child confirming that he or she has permission to travel with the child;
iii.copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child; and
iv.the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child, Provided that the Director-General may, where the parents of the child are both deceased and the child is travelling with a relative or another person related to him or her or his or her parents, approve such a person to enter into or depart from the Republic with such a child.

e.Any unaccompanied minor shall produce to the immigration officer- i.proof of consent from one of or both his or her parents or legal guardian, as the case may be, in the form of a letter or affidavit for the child to travel into or depart from the Republic: Provided that in the case where one parent provides proof of consent, that parent must also provide a copy of a court order issued to him or her in terms of which he or she has been granted full parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the child;
ii.a letter from the person who is to receive the child in the Republic, containing his or her residential address and contact details in the Republic where the child will be residing;
iii.a copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in the Republic; and (iv) the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.